I adore the warm cooked dishes prepared for Christmas - it really wouldn't be Christmas without them! However, the rich traditional holiday foods can leave one feeling a little, shall we say, heavy?? So when it comes time to getting back to reality and into a routine again, I always crave an abundance of fruits and vegetables (particularly greens) and find myself making fresher foods rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
The first meal I made for myself after the holidays was this Spinach & Quinoa Grapefruit Pomegranate Salad. Pomegranates are still in season and I have been looking to incorporate them into other meals besides breakfast. So with a few whole grains, nuts, superfoods and some fruits and vegetables I managed to satisfy everything my body was craving and kickstart a healthy new year.
SPINACH & QUINOA GRAPEFRUIT POMEGRANATE SALAD: a meal or a beautiful side to breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.
INGREDIENTS: (yields 2 servings)
- 3 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup grapefruit
- 1/2 cup pomegranate
- 1/2 cup cauliflower
- 4 tbsp hemp seed
- 4 tbsp raw walnut
DIJON VINAIGRETTE DRESSING INGREDIENTS: (yields 1/2 cup. more than needed for recipe)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Rinse quinoa, add 1 cup water to a pot along with rinsed quinoa. Bring quinoa and water to a boil, once it has reached a boil, dcrease temperature to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 min. Remove from heat, fluff and cover again.
- While quinoa is cooking whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper together in a bowl and set aside.
- Wash spinach and cauliflower, grate cauliflower and set aside.
- Cut pomegranate in half and remove the seeds from 1/2 of the fruit. Cut grapefruit into cubes and remove the peel.
- In a large bowl or plate directly to plates dividing ingredients, layer spinach, quinoa, grapefruit, pomegranate, cauliflower, hemps seeds walnuts and dress lightly with dressing.