I created this recipe a few years ago when a friend had expressed concerns that her two young girls were becoming extremely active with extracurricular sports and equally stubborn about what they did not want to eat. I took this as a challenge and developed these energy bites to please a six year old's tastes, and a worried mother's common sense. To my delight, these bite size, protein and fiber packed treats were a hit! The girls call them D' Bites (D for Dani), but we'll call them Cranberry Cacao Energy Bites. Their name seems to have a better ring to it, don't you think?
CRANBERRY CACOA ENERGY BITES: a protein and fiber packed energy treat for on the go.
- 8 dates pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup dried organic oats
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries diced
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup raw cacoa nibs
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsp chia seeds (3 tbsp in recipe, 3 tsp roll the balls in)
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp raw shelled hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp organic maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1. Place pitted dates in food processor or Vitamix (add 1 tbsp of water if using the Vitamix) with coconut oil, and process until it's a smooth paste.
2. Take date paste and mix into a mixing bowl with all the other ingredients.
3. Once all the ingredients are mixed together well, place in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes.
4. Roll the mix into bite size balls, and then roll each ball through the chia seeds to cover surface entirely.
5. Store in freezer.