I recently started adding matcha green tea powder to my morning smoothies. Not only is matcha packed full of nutritional benefits, it also contains caffeine and other properties that boost energy. So on mornings when I'm tight for time, adding a little bit of matcha to my breakfast feels like I'm killing two birds with one stone.
So what is "matcha" anyway? Matcha is green tea leaves finely milled to form a fine powder. For centuries the Japanese have used matcha in part of a traditional tea ceremony that includes the preparation, serving, and drinking of matcha. Buddhist monks have also relied on this powder to keep them awake and focused during long days of meditation.
A few benefits of matcha:
- high in antioxidants
- detoxifies the body by removing heavy metals and toxins
- increases metabolism and helps the body burn calories
- improves cognitive abilities and concentration
- contains cancer fighting properties
- increases energy levels
- boosts immunity
- helps relieve stress
MATCHA GREEN SMOOTHIE: a healthy and energizing breakfast or snack on the go.
INGREDIENTS: (yields 1 serving)
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of water
- ½ granny smith apple (core removed, chopped)
- ½ kiwi (skin removed)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (I added these in at the last minute so they didn't make the ingredients picture above)
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- ½ tsp matcha green tea powder
- 2-3 ice cubes
Wash and prep fruits and vegetables and add to your blender. Add water, chia seeds, matcha green tea powder, and ice cubes. Blend until smooth, pour and enjoy.